Monday, January 13, 2014

Taking the lead.

Are you playing the lead role in your life or are you a supporting character?

When Sakib and I first started looking at our five-year plan, two years ago, I was the one who suggested that we move to Bangladesh. We were struggling, like so many others, trying to live the “American dream” on a tight budget, and like so many others, it was not working out well for us. However, I think, when it comes down to it that is not the reason I suggested that we go. I often felt that life was happening to me. My decisions were made for me and I had few options. I felt stagnant. I wanted to travel, to experience life and have an exciting life with many adventures to share with my family.

It is probably an extreme solution, moving to Bangladesh, but sometimes the best way to fix something is just to bang on it really hard, so we banged on our lives. After living here for a year, and having a few great adventures, experiencing so many new things – facing new challenges – feeling overwhelmingly – I can say that I am happy with our choice to move. It is not an easy happiness, because living here is not the easy choice, life here is not as easy, for me, as in the US.

Our children get to grow up in two worlds, speak two languages, and be able to live in both worlds, without being out of place in either. Sakib is able to work and play cricket and make up time with his family who he sorely missed during the ten years he lived in the US. I get to be at home with my young children.

Our plan is to live here for three years. One year is past and I understand some Bengali. My goal is to understand 90% of what is said and to be able to respond simply and appropriately by the end of the next year here. I want to find a way to make money by writing, maybe even attempt a book. I want to see more of the beautiful Bangladeshi countryside and spend more time at the village home. I want to see some of our neighboring countries and some that are not so close. Perhaps then I’ll feel ready to return to the US to live.






3 comments:

  1. Yes please try to write a book. I would totally love to read it Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to write a book, it is a work in progress - in my head. I'll start putting it on "paper" soon! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Come to visit Indonesia before u return to the USA..:D

    ReplyDelete